Get a 30th Paul Component Chico history lesson from Paul himself – Want to know more about the last thirty years of Paul Components? Earlier this year we spoke to founder Paul Price on the topic of the anniversary as part of the Bikerumor Podcast. Now Paul & PAUL Comp have released a video touring their Chico, CA home to share the full story with behind-the-scenes detours along the way.Advertisements
They interviewed his last boss – Jeff Lindsay of Mountain Goat Cycles – and his first customer. Get a look at the truck he built out of a junkyard, and talk with the team’s Manufacturing Manager about those early & sometimes dangerous days of machining bike components.
It’s a long journey at about twenty minutes, so go grab a beer, buckle up, and enjoy the tale – from funny stories to why you should (or maybe shouldn’t) start your own small business in the bike industry. Oh, and don’t forget the meth lab raids or what it’s like to drill a 3/8″ hole in your finger! PaulComp.com
Where there’s great trail, advocacy & a Megatower to win!
- Maybe next year at Trans-Cascadia? – The 5th running of Trans-Cascadia kicked off yesterday deep in the backcountry trails of Gifford Pinchot National Forest in Washington state. It’s too late to ride this edition of the race, but that Common Ground video above gives a glimpse of the organizational work that went into bringing diverse user groups together to open, clear & repair trails over the summer for the unique, high-alpine event.
- Follow along at Trans-Cascadia.com for daily race reports starting today. And to further trail advocacy efforts, Trans-Cascadia has created Ten For Trails. Each $10 donation increases the chances of winning a Santa Cruz Megatower and all proceeds from the raffle will benefit the continued work of Trans-Cascadia.
Where to ride
- Summit to Sea Outdoor Festival, bikepacking race & more! – A week-long outdoors festival kicks off today in Dunoon on Scotland’s Adventure Coast, until Oct 5. The festival provides a week packed with activities for those who love the fresh air and adventure, including walking, running, mountain biking, bikepacking, fishing, sailing and inspiring talks. First up is the Surly Dunoon Dirt Dash – a 2-day bikepacking event Sat 28 & Sun 29 where SRMR finishers, Paralympic & World Champs, and around-the-world-cyclists will join the scenic 81mi/131km mixed terrain course. Details on the Dash at: DirtDash.cc/Dunoon and more about the week of activities including DH legend Greg Minnaar’s and globe circumnavigator Mark Beaumont’s talks at: DunoonPresents.co.uk/Summit-to-Sea
Gear, deals & jobs
- Save 10% Off Ocoee Boundary gravel bikes now – Getting you ready to break boundaries this fall, Ocoee is offering a limited time discount of 10% off their carbon gravel frameset & all complete bike builds. Use code: BOUNDARY10 at checkout between now and Oct 4 to save on a bike pre-assembled and shipped to your doorstep. Ocoeebikes.com
- VeloToze waterproof cycling gloves are back – Colder, wetter weather is on the horizon & VeloToze’s wet weather gloves are available again, now in 5 sizes. Designed to make riding in the rain and cold more enjoyable – the waterproof, windproof performance neoprene keeps hands warm & dry, including blind stitching & sealed seams for a comfortable fit. They are designed for a dry -5°C or soaking wet 15°C, and sell for $48. VeloToze.com
- The Quoc Gran Tourer is back in Gear to Disappear – After selling out quickly earlier this year in most sizes, Quoc has just fully restocked their Gran Tourer gravel bike shoes across all styles & sizes. They’ve also added new updated camouflage editions of the shoe (oddly easier to see?!) in both New Black Camo & New Green Camo. Quoc.cc
- Save up to half off in Sweet’s end of summer sale – Sweet Protection hopes that you haven’t stopped riding yet, just because the days are getting shorter. Enjoy the last vestiges of summer & warm weather with discounts on their Summer 2019 road bike collection or our mountain bike collection. Now up to 50% off. SweetProtection.com