Race Report: In the expected bunch sprint, Lotto Soudal’s Caleb Ewan won the 11th stage of the Giro d’Italia. In the gallop for the finish line in Novi Ligure he was to fast for Tuesday’s winner Arnaud Démare (Groupama-FDJ), with Pascal Ackermann (Bora-Hansgrohe) third and Elia Viviani (Deceuninck – Quick-Step) fourth. This was the Australian’s second stage win after victory in stage eight. Another day in pink for Valerio Conti (UAE Team Emirates).
Second 2019 Giro stage for Caleb Ewan
For the second day in a row the stage profile was flat and and made for the sprinters. From Carpi the stage headed to Novi Ligure, where Italian cycling legend Fausto Coppi lived most of his life. This was also the birthplace of that other Campionissimo, Costante Girardengo. In short, an place with cycling history. The expected mass sprint was on the menu.
The start in Carpi
Stage 11 – Carpi-Novi Ligure 221km – total elevation 400m
A pan-flat stage to the edge of the Po Valley. After Casteggio, the route follows the traditional itinerary of Milano-Sanremo, up to 3km from the finish. Starting from Carpi, the route first heads towards Reggio Emilia. After crossing the town, it takes the ss. 9 “Via Emilia” all the way to Piacenza, following a straight course. Past Piacenza, the route takes the former Statale Padana Inferiore all the way to the finish, passing through several cities that have often featured regularly in the Giro route, and in the Milano-Sanremo finale.
The last 3km are virtually straight, with some roundabouts, but not requiring major diversions. The last bend is 3,000m from the finish line, then the home straight is 2,800m long, on 7.5m wide asphalt road.
221 kilometres to go
After his crash on Tuesday, Pascal Ackermann started stage 11
Break of the day: Marco Frapporti (Androni-Giocattoli-Sidermec), Mirco Maestri (Bardiani-CSF), Damiano Cima (Nippo-Fantini-Faizanè)
Another day in the peloton
Another nice day for a bike ride in the Northern Italian countryside
The Australian was just too fast
2019 win No. 2 for Ewan
Giro d’Italia Stage 11 Result:
1. Caleb Ewan (Aus) Lotto Soudal in 5:17:26
2. Arnaud Démare (Fra) Groupama-FDJ
3. Pascal Ackermann (Ger) Bora-Hansgrohe
4. Elia Viviani (Ita) Deceuninck – Quick-Step
5. Davide Cimolai (Ita) Israel Cycling Academy
6. Simone Consonni (Ita) UAE-Team Emirates
7. Ryan Gibbons (RSA) Dimension Data
8. Giacomo Nizzolo (Ita) Dimension Data
9. Jakub Mareczko (Ita) CCC
10. Sean Bennett (USA) EF Education First.
Giro d’Italia Overall After Stage 11:
1. Valerio Conti (Ita) UAE Team Emirates in 45:02:05
2. Primoz Roglic (Slo) Jumbo-Visma at 1:50
3. Nans Peters (Fra) AG2R-La Mondiale at 2:21
4. José Rojas (Spa) Movistar at 2:33
5. Fausto Masnada (Ita) Androni Giocattoli-Sidermec at 2:36
6. Andrey Amador (CRc) Movistar at 2:39
7. Amaro Antunes (Por) CCC at 3:05
8. Valentin Madouas (Fra) Groupama-FDJ at 3:27
9. Giovanni Carboni (Ita) Bardiani-CSF at 3:30
10. Pello Bilbao (Spa) Astana at 3:32.